Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Imagineering: What is it?

     Since I am looking at the science and engineering behind Disney, I might as well just use the word Imagineering, which is a portmanteau of imagination and engineering.  From a child I always thought that Disney had coined the word Imagineering but it turns out it actually was first used by Alcoa in the 1940s and Disney did not adopt the word until 1952.  I realize that Disney did not come up with the concept but they have perfected the phrase with their actions of Imagineering stuff.  I mean look at Disneyland and see all of the Imagineering that has been done to keep the park up to date even though it is what first opened in 1955.  From 1955 when it opened with 18 attractions, it now has upwards of 55 attractions and each one being better and more technology advanced than the last one.  (For a full timeline of Disneyland attractions go here)
    I first heard of Imagineering as a kid on The Disney Channel and from then on I thought it would be the coolest job.  That is most of the reason behind setting up a blog and I know I have not done a good job at explaining what and who Imagineers at Disney are but watch this video below and you can find out!

3 comments:

  1. As hard as it is to admit it, I am a closet Disney fan or at least I used to be. Instantly after playing the youtube video all of the words to that song instantly came back into my mind after constantly seeing that commercial on tv or wherever I heard it. I'll definitely read your blog if you talk about roller coasters at Disney World. What are your thoughts on new shows like Hannah Montana? That sadly is diminishing my opinion of Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beagle,

    My thoughts on the new Disney shows are mixed, I mean I will be honest I do like Hannah Montana and some of the other shows, however, I do believe that the new generation of kids shows are quite strange. I mean have you seen Fish Hooks? I feel like that show should be on the Cartoon Channel or something I mean it is not really my cup of tea. Overall, like any normal person I still miss the shows from my childhood that I wish they would bring back like Recess and Even Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog. The design is great and the topic fascinating. Can't wait for more content.

    ReplyDelete