Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3D Movies not so simple

Have you ever wondered how 3D movies work?  Well, I have been curious especially since I learned that the first 3D movie was "The Power of Love" which started playing on September 27, 1922. Yes, that does say 1922.  Now, obviously 3D movies have changed a lot since then, making them better for the tech savvy generation of today. 

Back in the 1920s, a simple technique was used to make the 3D movies.  The movies were made it two different colors and those corresponded to the two different colors of the 3D glasses tricking the eyes into thinking that the objects were popping out of the screen.

Today the 3D experience is a little different using a new technology of polarization.  There are two different methods of this polarization, linear and circular.  Both of these techniques are somewhat similar and they work by only allowing certain types of light through filters.  I am going to try and explain this is a way that makes sense to me.  When the film is made they use a camera that take two different images that are separated by the distance equal to the distance between an average eye.  This is so each eye can have a different filter in front of it(ie the lenses).  Each lense will allow for certain light waves to come through while the rest are reflected away.  In linear polarization one lense will be vertical and the other horizontal.  This allows for different lights to get through to each eye. 


Another way to look at it is thinking of it as the kids toy which only allows the blocks to go through each hole(see below).  Certain blocks or light can only go through each whole or lense.  Through this technique of polarization the 3D experience is made.

4 comments:

  1. Wow they started thinking about 3D movies back in 1922? That's awesome. I'm still not a big fan of them myself but maybe as the technology changes and improves I will come around to the craze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Nice explanations! I am always trying to find better ways to explain ideas. E&M waves are especially tricky. Your explanations are right on the money though! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally dislike 3D movies. I don't get headaches after watching them, I just don't think anything is really that special about it. Maybe I just haven't seen the right movie with 3D. I've seen Alice and Wonderland 3D and Shrek 3D, and I felt that I would've had the same movie experience in 2D. I heard Avatar in 3D was really good, but it was sold out so I saw the normal version.

    I also read that 3D might have negative effects on children's eyes. I do not know how proven this is, but who would've guessed Toy Story in 3D would be harmful for you. Kind of ironic in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm nervous to admit I haven't been to a 3D movie yet (not even Avatar). So I don't know what the experience is like. and I don't totally understand polarization yet. But I like that you're using the analogy here and trying to explain. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete